This evening the Evanston City Council in a historic vote voted to close both the North and South branch libraries. The vote was 6-3 in favor of closing. The North branch first opened in 1952. The South branch was first opened in 1917.
The West branch library was closed earlier in 1981, six years after it opened in 1975.
For the first time in 114 years, Evanston will have no branch libraries.